The Minneapolis Fire Department’s Station No. 2, located at 13th & Main, has been located at its current intersection since 1858. The building shown here was constructed in 1892 and was designed to be large enough to hold a new steam engine. It was one of two stations built in that year. The expansion of stations across the city came in response to both growth and political pressures. Minneapolis was growing rapidly in terms of both development and population. In addition to providing general fire protection to the surrounding neighborhood, this station served the east side lumber businesses. The current station, located across the street, opened in 1961.
Learn more about the museum and its offerings at hennepinhistory.org or 870-1329.