A man police are calling a serial criminal has struck Downtown, sexually molesting at least three women then robbing them.
The attacks began Jan. 9, with the latest one Jan. 20. All of the attacks occurred between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. According to First Precinct Commander Rob Allen, the suspect is an African American male in his late 20s or early 30s, 6 feet tall with a thin, muscular build.
"The guy is pretty dangerous," Allen said.
No sketch was available at press time.
The Minneapolis Police Department offers the following tips for avoiding an attack:
When walking --
- Plan and use the safest and most direct route.
- Choose well-lighted streets at night.
- Stay alert to your surroundings; look confident and purposeful.
- Become familiar with businesses that are open late.
- If you feel uneasy, go directly to a place where there are other people.
- Walk with a friend if possible, particularly at night.
- Carry your keys and money in a pocket, not in a purse or wallet.
If you are being followed by someone in a car
- Turn around and walk quickly in the opposite direction. Try to obtain the license plate number and a description of the car and call the police.
If you are being followed by someone on foot
- Turn around to let the person know you see them. Immediately cross the street and walk or run toward a place where there are other people. Call the police or get someone else to call for you.