Event will bring together resources for people in need
Advocates for the homeless will be converging at the Basilica of St. Mary on Wednesday, Dec. 14 for Project Homeless Connect, an effort to match people with a range of housing and employment resources.
Organizers hope to turn Project Homeless Connect, a nationwide event that started in San Francisco in 2004, into a quarterly event, said Cathy ten Broeke, one of the key organizers and the new coordinator on homelessness for Minneapolis and Hennepin County.
The Basilica will open its doors to people in need of a variety of resources, including employment specialists, housing providers, medical care experts, mental health specialists and eye doctors, among others.
People will also be able to get haircuts, food, clothing and transportation
Those interested in volunteering for the event are asked to contact Pat Crosby at 879-3470 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organizers are seeking the following donations:
- 300 new winter coats for men, women and youth;
- 300 pairs of winter boots/shoes for men, women and children;
- 300 sleeping bags;
- 500 bus cards;
- 400 backpacks;
- New and used books for children and adults;
- 500 pairs of new warm socks for men, women, youth and children;
- 500 hygiene supply kits (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, etc.); and
- 300 phone cards.
The event will be held 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The Basilica is at 88 17th St. N.