Downtown service cuts scaled back from spring plan
After proposing cuts to nearly 60 transit routes serving Downtown last March, Metro Transit has saved 39 routes from reductions or elimination.
Eleven Downtown routes face smaller reductions and nine routes will cut when the plan goes into effect Sept. 1.
Below is a list of Downtown routes that will be spared, those where changes were reduced, and those still set for elimination. (More cuts could come depending on the state's transportation bill, now tied up in special session.)
For more, see www.metrotransit.org.
Saved - Weekday routes originally eliminated or reduced, now unaffected
Route 3 Downtown-Como Avenue-St. Paul
Route 4 Richfield-Downtown-New Brighton
Route 5 Mall of America-Downtown-Brookdale
Route 6 Southdale-Uptown-Downtown-U of M
Route 7 Plymouth Ave.-Downtown-Midtown LRT
Route 11 46th St.-Downtown-Columbia Heights
Route 12 Minnetonka-Uptown-Downtown
Route 14 38th St. LRT-Downtown-Robbinsdale
Route 17 Knollwood-Downtown-NE Mpls.
Route 19Robbinsdale-Downtown-VA LRT Station
Route 25 Northtown-Downtown-Douglas Ave.
Route 61 Downtown-Roseville-St. Paul
Route 94 Downtown-St. Paul
Route 133 Downtown-Lake Nokomis
Route 156 Downtown-Southwest Minneapolis
Route 250 Downtown-Lino Lakes
Route 260 Downtown-University Ave.-Rosedale
Route 270 Downtown-Maplewood-Mahtomedi
Route 554 Downtown-Nicollet Ave.-Bloomington
Route 587 Downtown-Valley View Rd.-Edina
Route 664 Downtown-St. Louis Park-Hopkins
Route 665 Downtown-Hopkins-Opus II
Route 667 Downtown-Mtka. Blvd.-Co. Rd. 101
Route 668 Downtown-Texas Ave.-Hopkins
Route 670 Downtown-Hopkins-Orono
Route 671 Downtown-Plymouth Rd.-Co. Rd. 19
Route 674 Downtown-Carlson Pkwy.-Orono
Route 675 Downtown-Ridgedale-Mound
Route 755 Downtown-Winnetka Ave.
Route 756 Downtown-Hwy. 55-Boone Ave.
Route 761 Downtown-Brooklyn Park
Route 762 Downtown-Bass Lake Rd.-Crystal
Route 763 Downtown-Brookdale Dr.-85th Ave.
Route 764 Downtown-New Hope
Route 766 Downtown-Noble Ave.-Champlin
Route 824 Downtown-University Ave.-Northtown
Route 829 Downtown-Central Ave.-Coon Rapids
Route 850 Downtown-Hanson Blvd.-Coon Rapids
Partly Restored - Weekday routes with some reductions undone
Route 852 Downtown-Fridley-Anoka
Route 9 Bloomington-Nicollet Ave.-Downtown
- Restored: Routes 9H and 9N; trips Downtown will not end and start at 7th Street Garage.
- Still cut: Eastbound trips arriving 8th & Nicollet at 5:50 a.m., 6:30 a.m. midnight and 1 a.m. Westbound trips leaving 9th & Nicollet at 5:32 a.m., 11:15 p.m. and 12:10 a.m.
Route 32 Robbinsdale-Downtown-Rosedale
- Restored: Most weekday Downtown-Lowry Ave service on Washington reduced.
- Restored: Service 6 a.m.-7 p.m. will be hourly, not half-hourly.
- Still cut: 5:25 a.m. eastbound to Downtown; westbound 6:04 a.m. from Gateway and 6:08 a.m. from Rosedale.
Route 135 Washburn High-Downtown-U of M
- Still cut: weekday service to and from the U of M eliminated.
- Restored: number of trips serving Downtown. Route 144 Downtown-U of M-Snelling Avenue
- Restored: Weekday 6:38 a.m. trip from Edgecumbe.
- Changed: Trip leaving Snelling & Edgecumbe at 6:53 a.m. will leave at 6:48 a.m.
Route 146 Downtown-Southwest Minneapolis-Edina
- Changed: Weekday service W of Eden & Vernon aves. will be reduced, not cut.
Route 535 Downtown-Bloomington
- Restored: Weekday service to Downtown 8-11:15 p.m., though it will be reduced to very 30-60 minutes.
- Still cut: Weekaday service to Downtown after 11:15 p.m.
- Changed:Times adjusted to improve connections with crosstown Bloomington buses.
Route 557 Downtown-Lyndale Ave.-Richfield
- Still changed: Weekday route extended on Lyndale to South Bloomington Transit Center, replacing Route 597A service.
- New change: route also extended to 102nd & Portland, replacing route 553.
Route 578 Downtown-Southdale-Edina
- Changed: Weekday service south of Southdale would not be eliminated, except for route 578J.
- Restored: Southbound 6:22 a.m. and 7:22 a.m. and northbound 4:19 p.m. and 5:06 p.m. trips.
Route 588 Downtown-Cahill Rd.-Edina
- Restored: weekday service north of 78th & Cahill, as a branch of Route 146.
- Still cut: Service south of 78th & Cahill.
Route 589 Downtown-Bloomington
- Restored: Morning trips to Bloomington and afternoon trips to Downtown.
- Still cut: Weekday service combines routes 589A, B and C in certain sections.
- Still reduced: Service would be every 30 minutes instead of every 15.
Route 765 Downtown-W. Broadway-Crystal
- Still cut: Weekday service on Douglas Drive south of 36th Ave. replaced by Route 758. Service on 36th Avenue cut.
- Restored: Northbound 6 p.m. trip.
Still Cut - Weekday routes that whose cuts or reductions stay in place for Sept. 1
Route 18 Bloomington-Nicollet Ave.- Downtown
- Weekday service on Nicollet reduced to every 6-8 minutes from every 5-7 minutes 7-10 a.m. and 2-8 p.m.
- Weekday Nicollet service 8-11 p.m. reduced to every 12-15 minutes from every 10-15 minutes.
Route 24 Brooklyn Center-Downtown-46th St. LRT
- Service on 11th Avenue between Downtown and Franklin Avenue transferred to Route 27 on Park and Portland avenues.
- South of Downtown, weekday service 9 a.m-3:30 p.m. and Saturdays 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. will be every half-hour instead of every 20 minutes.
Route 27 Downtown-26th Street-34th Ave. S.
- Weekday service north of 26th Street eliminated.
- Remaining weekday service 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. would run every 30 minutes from the current 20 minutes.
- Saturday-Sunday service on Park and Portland between 26th Street and Franklin Avenue eliminated.
- Other weekend service runs every 30, not 20, minutes.
Route 452 Downtown-W. St. Paul-Mendota Hts.
- Eliminate 6:04 a.m. and 7:04 a.m. trips from Parkview Plaza, and 4:31 p.m. and 5:48 p.m. trips from 6th & Hennepin. Reschedule other trips.
- Cut the afternoon route via the U of M.
Route 553 Downtown- Portland Av.-Bloomington
- Weekday service south of 98th Street eliminated.
- Other service cut to every 30 minutes from every 20.
Route 576 Downtown-Penn Ave.-Richfield
- Weekday service every 15 minutes instead of 10. Route 597 Downtown-Bloomington
- Weekday service every 15-20 minutes instead of every 10-15 minutes.
Route 758 Downtown-Duluth St.-Crystal
- Weekday service combined with Route 765.
Route 827 Downtown-Fridley-Anoka
- Weekday route replaced by revised Route 852, hourly.