Metro Transit has announced specific route cuts and changes to plug a $30 million annual budget hole.
Overall, the system will be cut 10 percent - and since Downtown is a major hub, most of the changes will affect us. Specifics are listed below.
The cuts are far from certain: legislators and the governor are still debating Metro Transit's funding, along with the rest of the budget. It's possible that by releasing such a broad list of changes, Metro Transit will embolden citizens and transit advocates to help the agency get more funding. If more money doesn't materialize, the cuts go into effect in June, September and December.
Metro Transit will hold public hearings on the cuts and is also taking public input via e-mail, fax and mail; details are listed at the end of this story.
- Route 3
- Eliminated: Weekday 11:50 p.m. and 12:42 a.m. eastbound trips from the 5th Street garage and the 11:46 p.m. westbound trip from St. Paul.
- Saturday 11:43 p.m. trip from Downtown and the 11:44 p.m. trip from St. Paul cut.
- Northbound service between 38th & Bryant and New Brighton reduced to every 15 minutes from every 10-12 minutes from 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. and after 6:30 p.m.
- Evening service between Downtown and 50th Street would be reduced to every 30 minutes from every 15 minutes.
- Route 4F and 4K cut to hourly from every half-hour south of Downtown.
Mall of America-Downtown-Brookdale
- Southbound morning and northbound afternoon weekday service cut to every 7-9 minutes from the current 6-9 minutes.
- Northbound service would be every 15 minutes from 8-9 p.m. instead of every 10 minutes.
Southdale-Uptown-Downtown-U of M
- Hennepin Avenue service cut to every 6-8 minutes 7-9:30 a.m. and 4-6:30 p.m. from the current 4-8 minutes.
- Service on Xerxes and France to Southdale, and north of Downtown would be every 30 minutes 9 a.m.-3 p.m., down from every 20 minutes.
- Saturday service cut or reduced
Plymouth Ave.-Downtown-Midtown LRT
- No Plymouth Avenue service after 7 p.m. weekdays and on Saturday and Sunday.
- (Alternate service is available on routes 5, 19 and 24 on Plymouth and Route 14 on Washington.)
- Weekday service 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and after 7 p.m. would be eliminated on 9N west of Louisiana, 9H between Penn and Glenwood avenues.
- Weekday service would become hourly, from half-hourly, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Saturday service on above sections eliminated before 7 a.m. and after 7 p.m. and otherwise operate hourly.
- All Downtown trips would start at the 7th Street garage.
46th Street-Downtown-Columbia Heights
- Service on 4th Avenue from Lake Street to 38th Street cut after 10 p.m. (Use Route 5 on Chicago Ave.)
- Service north of Downtown eliminated after 11 p.m.
- Weekday service reduced to hourly from half-hourly, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Eliminated on weekdays: Westbound 12:09 a.m. trip leaving Hennepin & Washington, eastbound 12:05 a.m. and 1:05 a.m. trips from Opportunity Court and westbound trip from Uptown at 11:29 p.m.
- Reduced Saturday and Sunday service.
38th St. LRT station-Downtown-Robbinsdale
- Route 14E to 38th Street eliminated
- Weekday 10 a.m-1 p.m. service reduced to 20 minutes from 15 minutes.
- Saturday 9 a.m-7 p.m. service cut to every 20 minutes from the current 15 minutes.
- Sunday 10 a.m.-7 p.m. service every half hour; otherwise, hourly.
- Weekday service north of Downtown after 8 p.m. eliminated.
- Weekday routes 17F, 17L and 17K eliminated.
- Saturday and Sunday service north of Downtown after 8 p.m. cut.
- Alternative service is available on routes 10 and 11.
- Weekday service on Nicollet reduced to every 6-8 minutes from every 5-7 minutes 7-10 a.m. and 2-8 p.m.
- Weekday Nicollet service 8-11 p.m. reduced to every 12-15 minutes from every 10-15 minutes.
Robbinsdale-Downtown-VA LRT Station
- Some northbound weekday trips 5-7 a.m. would end at Xerxes & Golden Valley Rd.
- Some southbound weekday trips 5-9 a.m. would start at Xerxes & Golden Valley instead of the Robbinsdale Transit Center.
- Southbound weekday service 8:15 a.m. and 9:15 a.m. cut to every 20 minutes from 14-16.
- Northbound weekday afternoon rush-hour service would be every 13-16 minutes from 11-13 minutes.
- Service 9:30-10:30 p.m. would be hourly instead of every 30 minutes northbound and 10 p.m.-midnight southbound.
Brooklyn Center-Downtown-46th St. LRT Station
- Service on 11th Avenue between Downtown and Franklin Avenue transferred to Route 27 on Park and Portland avenues.
- South of Downtown, weekday service 9 a.m-3:30 p.m. and Saturdays 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. will be every half-hour instead of every 20 minutes
- Weekday service north of County Road 10 eliminated.
- Saturday service eliminated.
Downtown-26th Street-34th Avenue South
- Weekday service north of 26th Street eliminated.
- Remaining weekday service 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. would run every 30 minutes from the current 20 minutes.
- Saturday-Sunday service on Park and Portland between 26th Street and Franklin Avenue eliminated.
- Other weekend service runs every 30, not 20, minutes.
- Weekday Downtown-Lowry Ave service on Washington reduced.
- Service 6 a.m.-7 p.m. will be hourly, not half-hourly.
- Saturday eastbound 6:05 a.m., 7:05 a.m., 7:03 p.m. and 8:04 p.m. trips eliminated, as are westbound 5:26 a.m. and 6:25 a.m. trips.
- Daily 94B service to the capitol eliminated.
- Weekday 9 a.m.-3 p.m. service cut to every 20 minutes from every 15 minutes.
- Alternative service on routes 16, 50, 68 and 71.
- Weekday northbound 6:20 a.m. and 8:27 a.m. trips cut, as are southbound 3:34 p.m. and 4:54 p.m. trips
- Alternative service is available on routes 5 and 14.
Washburn High-Downtown-U of M
- Weekday service to and from the U of M eliminated.
- Morning service reduced to every 20 minutes from the current 15 minutes.
- Alternate U service on routes 3, 16, 50 and 113.
Downtown-U of M-Snelling Avenue
- Weekday 6:38 a.m. trip from Edgecumbe eliminated.
- Weekday service W of Eden & Vernon aves. cut.
- Weekday service cut to every 15-30 minutes instead of every 10-30 minutes.
- Weekday service cut to every 15-30 minutes instead of every 10-30 minutes.
- Southbound 6:24 a.m. weekday shuttle from I-35W & Diamond Lake Road eliminated.
- Weekday afternoon trips between Downtown and I-35W & Diamond Lake Road eliminated.
- Weekday service north of 95th Avenue Park & Ride eliminated, andbetween 95th & Lake Drive reduced.
- Weekday service 9:50 a.m.-2:50 p.m. eliminated.
- Service arriving at 7th & Marquette 6:30-8 a.m. reduced to every 8-20 minutes from every 5-15 minutes.
- Trips now leaving 7th Street & 2nd Avenue South at 8:41 p.m. and from Roseville at 9:18 p.m. eliminated.
- Alternate service to Rosedale available on Route 84 with transfers from Route 16, 50 or 94.
- Weekday service NE of Maplewood Mall eliminated.
- One morning and one afternoon trip cut.
Downtown-West. St. Paul-Mendota Heights
- Cut: weekday westbound trips arriving Downtown at 6:51 a.m. and 7:50 a.m. and 4:31 p.m. and 5:48 p.m. trips leaving Downtown.
- Weekday service to Downtown after 8 p.m. eliminated.
- Alternative service is available on Route 18.
- Weekday service south of 98th Street eliminated.
- Other service cut to every 30 minutes from every 20.
- Weekday service every 30 minutes instead of 20.
- Weekday route extended on Lyndale to South Bloomington Transit Center, replacing Route 597A service. No frequency change.
- Weekday service every 15 minutes instead of 10.
- Weekday service south of Southdale eliminated.
- Southbound 6:22 a.m. and 7:22 a.m. and northbound 4:19 p.m. and 5:06 p.m. trips eliminated.
Downtown-Valley View Rd.-Edina
- Weekday northbound 6:05 a.m. trip eliminated.
- Alternate service on Route 6.
- Weekday service eliminated.
- Alternative service on Route 578 from Southdale.
- Morning trips to Bloomington and afternoon trips to Downtown eliminated.
- Weekday service combines routes 589A, B and C in certain sections.
- Service would be every 30 minutes instead of every 15.
Downtown-Old Shakopee Rd.-Bloomington
- Weekday service every 15-20 minutes instead of every 10-15 minutes.
Downtown-St. Louis Park-Hopkins-Minnetonka
- Weekday service east of Hopkins combined with Route 665, west of Hopkins with Route 670.
- Weekday service combined with Route 664.
Downtown-Minnetonka Blvd.-Co. Rd. 101
- Weekday service between Porter & Hutchins and Minnetonka Blvd. eliminated.
- Eastbound trips arriving Downtown at 6:09 a.m. and 9:46 a.m., and westbound trips from Downtown at 8:06 a.m. and 6:20 p.m. eliminated, other times adjusted.
- Weekday service on Library Lane eliminated.
- Weekday service rerouted.
- Service on Hwy. 7 between Hwy. 101 & 5th Avenue would be eliminated.
Downtown-Plymouth Road-Co. Rd. 19
- Weekday service eliminated.
- Alternate service available on routes 672, 675 and 677 from the Plymouth Road. Transit Center.
- Weekday service west of Wayzata Park & Ride cut.
- Weekday rush-hour service west of Wayzata Park & Ride eliminated; service transferred to route 677.
- Midday service west of the Plymouth Transit Center cut.
Downtown-Golden Valley Rd.-Winnetka Ave.
- Weekday 755C eliminated.
- Weekday 755A reduced to four trips during rush hour.
- Other route changes.
Downtown-Hwy. 55-Boone Ave.
- Weekday rush-hour express reduced to two trips.
- Midday service eliminated.
- Weekday service combined with Route 765.
Downtown-Shingle Ck. Pkwy.-Brooklyn Park
- Weekday trips eliminated: southbound 6:38 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. from Downtown and northbound 3:39 p.m. trip from Downtown.
Downtown-Bass Lake Rd.-Crystal
- Weekday Downtown service consolidated with Route 761; no shuttles north of the Brooklyn Center Transit Center.
- The 7:48 a.m. and 4:41 p.m. trips from Downtown would go to the Brooklyn Center Transit Center.
Downtown-Brookdale Dr.-85th Ave.
- Weekday trips cut: southbound 6:42 a.m. & 7:14 a.m. Downtown departures, and northbound 6:10 p.m. trip.
Downtown-Winnetka Ave.-New Hope
- Weekday southbound 7:09 a.m. trip and northbound 5:32 p.m. trip.
- Weekday service on Douglas Drive south of 36th Ave. replaced by Route 758. Service on 36th Avenue cut.
- Northbound 6 p.m. trip cut; service to Route 19.
- Weekday 4-5 p.m. service on West River Road would be every 30 minutes, not every 20.
- Some morning and evening reverse-commute routes southbound before 10 a.m. and northbound after 3:30 p.m. eliminated.
- All service to Target North campus cut.
- Weekday service north of 53rd & University eliminated; alternative service on routes 10, 831 and 854.
- Weekday route replaced by revised Route 852.
- Service south of I-694 eliminated.
- Alternatives also include routes 11, 850 and 851.
Downtown-Central Ave.-Coon Rapids
- Weekday service ends at Northtown; no service north of Hwy. 10.
Downtown-Hanson Blvd.-Coon Rapids
- Weekday branch service on 850N and 850R cut.
- Southbound 6:30-9 a.m. rush-hour service at Foley Park and Ride cut to every 5-18 minutes instead of every 3-18 minutes.
- Northbound 3:15-5 p.m. service cut to every 4-15 minutes from every 2-11 minutes.
- Service north of Foley would be every 30 minutes rather than every 20 minutes.
- Alternative routes include 805, 851 and 854.
- Weekday route combined with Route 827 to provide hourly service on Coon Rapids Blvd. Service beyond Anoka Metro Center eliminated.
- Sunday service south of Northtown eliminated.
- Routes 10 and 851 are alternatives.
- Weekday service north of Northtown cut. Route 854C north of 105th combined with Route 850.
How to give your input on route changes and fare hikes
Metro Transit will host two Downtown public hearings next month about coming changes:
- Thursday, April 14, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
560 6th Ave. N.
- Monday, April 18, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Minneapolis City Hall, Room 220
350 S. 5th St.
Also, commends will be accepted until May 1, 5 p.m. via:
- Comment cards, which will be made
available on buses and trains;
- E-mail to email@example.com
- Fax to 651-602-1464
- Mail to: Regional Data Center, Metropolitan Council, 230 E. 5th St., St. Paul, MN 55101
Downtown-Como Avenue-St. Paul