Downtown dandelion tribute is Sunday

Share this:
May 10, 2004 // UPDATED 1:33 pm - April 25, 2007
By: Sarah McKenzie
Sarah McKenzie

You may hate dandelions, but Harriet Godfrey is again being honored for bringing them here.

The East Bank's Ard Godfrey House, the oldest wood-frame house left standing in the city, will host a tribute to dandelions Sunday, May 16.

The 16th annual "Dandelion Day Celebration" honors Ard's daughter Harriet, the first settler to bring dandelion seeds to the St. Anthony Falls area in 1849. (They actually arrived by mail, after Harriet Godfrey asked a friend in Maine to send her some.)

Those who attend can learn how to make necklaces, bracelets and crowns out of the yellow weed. Dandelion face painting will also take place.

A complimentary recipe book for dandelion tea, coffee, salads and wine will also be passed out.

The historic yellow house is at the corner of University Avenue Southeast and Central Avenue -- about a block from St. Anthony Main. The celebration runs from noon to 3 p.m. Admission is free.