DOWNTOWN CORE — The nonprofit charitable organization the League of Catholic Women crossed its 100-year mark in September. Since 1911, the volunteer organization has focused on helping women and children and promoting Christian values. The League has maintained its current headquarters at 207 9th St. S since 1951.
Over its 100-year history, the League has operated residences for single working women, a settlement house for immigrants, group homes for children and more. This year, the League will launch an initiative called Minneapolis Network, designed to connect various non-profits working on community building in North Minneapolis. Another newly launched program connects female veterans and wives of vets with post-deployment programs at the VA.
The League of Catholic Women celebrated its anniversary with a luncheon in St. Paul on Sept. 21, during which three local women were presented with “Women Becoming” awards for building better futures for themselves and their children.