The "Light Walk" planned for Nicollet Mall. File image

The "Light Walk" planned for Nicollet Mall. File image

Council committee approves $28.9M bid for Nicollet Mall project

Updated: April 27, 2016 - 5:45 pm

The City Council’s Ways & Means Committee voted Monday to accept a $28.9 million bid from Maple Grove-based Meyer Contracting Inc. for reconstructing the roadway and streetscape for the Nicollet Mall project.

In April the city issued new bids for the project after receiving only one bid earlier in the year that came in $24 million over budget.

The new design will now feature poured concrete in a variety of finishes and styles rather than brick pavers as originally planned to keep costs down.

The new bid puts the project back on track to be completed for just under $50 million, Don Elwood, the city’s director of transportation engineering and design, told the Council committee.

“The principles have not changed for the project,” Elwood said, noting the new Nicollet Mall will be designed to be more pedestrian friendly, “durable and elegant.”

Landscaping, street furniture and art installations, including the signature “Light Walk” feature, will still be part of the new design.

The Nicollet Mall reconstruction project includes $21.5 million in state bonding, $3.5 million from the City of Minneapolis and $25 million from assessments on downtown properties.

The mall will be reconstructed from Washington Avenue to Grant Street. Utility work will continue through the summer. Construction is expected to start in June with most of the work done by November 2017, Elwood said.

New York-based James Corner Field Operations is the designer on the project.