Wedged between the ever-growing madness of Black Friday and the online frenzy of Cyber Monday is Small Business Saturday, the chance for shoppers to support local businesses in their neighborhoods.
Shops in the North Loop have come together to show their appreciation for the patrons who support their local businesses. On Saturday, Nov. 30, 12 shops will be participating with one-day deals, carolers and complimentary food and drink.
The day of deals and discounts is meant to show the small business’ appreciation for their customers, but is also meant to promote the area as a shopping hub.
“We just want more people to be aware that there are so many great shops in the north loop,” said Jesse Erickson, co-founder of Handsome Cycles. “The neighborhood is really growing up.”
Many of the small businesses in the North Loop have collaborated with one another and worked as partners before. It made sense for them to continue that partnership for Small Business Saturday, Eickson said.
“We are all pretty much friends and we all do things that complement each other,” he said.
Small Business Saturday was created by American Express in 2010 and officially recognized by the U.S. Senate in 2011. Last year consumers spent an estimated $5.5 billion on Small Business Saturday, according to a Redshift Research study.
Here are some of the deals North Loop small businesses are offering on Saturday Nov. 30:
- Arrow: Bloody Mary Bar & raffle for $500 gift certificate
- Askov Finlayson: Hamms Beer & Water for guests
- C’est Chic Boutique: Double loyalty points for Small Business Saturday only, 30-50% off selected items, drawings, Petite Sweets pastries, apple cider & carolers 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- D. NOLO: 20% off all winter coats and scarves
- FinnStyle: All iittala 20% off, select merchandise 20 – 60% off, free reusable FinnStyle tote w/ any purchase, gift-wrapping, glögg & snacks
- Handsome Cycles: 25 – 50% store-wide, snacks & beverages
- MartinPatrick3: Select merchandise will be on sale, snacks & beverages
- Mitrebox Framing Studio: 20% off storewide including custom framing
- One on One: Lake cyclocross shoes at 50% off, all Mavic shoes and clothing at 40% off, any 2 pieces of Endura clothing at 20% off. Bicycles: 2013 model bicycles from Bianchi, 33% off, 2013 model bicycles from Globe, 30% off, 2013 model bicycles from Surly, 25% off and Free coffee from B&W Roasters
- Roe Wolfe: 20% off storewide, including 20% off already reduced items. We will also have pop-up shops from some our local vendors, and food from Brodys 57
- Statement Boutique: 20% off store-wide, one-of-a-kind-jewelry hand-picked by Stacey Johnson available only for Small Business Saturday, snacks, wine & carolers
Laura Marrinan is studying journalism at the University of Minnesota.