A historic landmark in Loring Park has been proposed to be converted into a bed and breakfast, three apartments and beauty salon.
The Eugene J. Carpenter House, located at 300 Clifton Ave., was designed by renowned architect Edwin Hewitt and built in 1906. Hewitt designed a number of nearby landmarks, including the Dunwoody Institute , Hennepin Avenue Methodist Church, National Life Insurance Building (now 430 Oak Grove Apartments) and the Minneapolis Club.
In 1977 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its Georgian Revival-style exterior and shortly thereafter it was converted into office space.
Currently the building is vacant and its deteriorating condition has been a concern for the neighborhood.
Building owner Jack Kistler and Adsit Architecture have submitted preliminary plans to the Heritage Preservation Commission (HPC), which will be reviewed at its meeting Feb. 4 meeting.
The plans show a beauty salon on the first floor of the building and six bedrooms for a bed and breakfast on the second and third floors. They plan to rebuild the building’s porch and proposed to build a rooftop deck, however, HPC staff recommended that the deck not be allowed.
Two apartments are planned for the building’s attached carriage house and one for its main wing. The parking lot in the back of the building will be converted into a garden.